It is a sudden disorder of brain circulation, which alters the function of a specific brain region. It may be ischemic: lack of irrigation, or Hemorrhagic: Ictus.
NEUROREHABILITATION THERAPY AND ITS BENEFITS
The ictus neurorehabilitation process is a long process where the expected benefits are difficult to predict. However, it is a specific evidence that the following statements could benefit the neurological treatment:
- Treatment should be initiated as soon as the patient´s medical stability is achieved, usually in the first 7 days after ictus..
- It is recommended an intensive treatment (minimum of 3 hours a day from Monday to Friday).
- During the first 8 months the patient will observe the recovery after ictus.
- Population studies achieved that with a good treatment 85% of patients can return home.
- In a neurorehabilitation treatment age is not a problem.
- Neurorehabilitation reduces mortality, improves the functional prognosis and promotes a faster return of the patient to home, further reducing the overall costs due to illness.